The winter that wasn’t

Canada is a land of ice and snow, right? Yes indeedy. This idea — so central to our national identity — was perfectly captured in québecois singer Gilles Vigneault’s 1964 song, Mon Pays. The famous opening line goes like this: Mon pays ce n’est pas un pays, c’est l’hiver. (My country is not a country, it’s winter.)

Well, not this year.

The so-called “winter” of 2011/2012 has been the strangest I can remember. I don’t believe we can call it a winter at all — we’ve somehow managed to skip an entire season. There’s been virtually no snow.

Even the storm warning Environment Canada issued Thursday night was a bust. They predicted 10-15 cm of snow overnight, with another 5-10 cm accumulating on Friday. When I woke up Friday morning, I looked out the window to see… gentle rainfall. Are you kidding me? School buses were cancelled for this?

Last year I posted a video chronicling the first big snowfall of 2011. I wanted to do the same this year, but because Mother Nature hasn’t been cooperating, I’ll have to make do with this footage, shot several weeks ago when I was trying out my new iPhone.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you 2012: The Winter that Wasn’t.

This entry was posted in Canada and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The winter that wasn’t

1. Loved this! And when you said ‘hey don’t be silly’ it sounded like the Canadian ‘eh, don’t be silly’.

I think I did say “eh,” actually! Although to be properly Canadian I should’ve said “Don’t be silly, eh?” Otherwise I sound a bit like The Fonz.:)

2. wordgeyser says:

Yep,the weirdest winter I’ve ever known. Last year here in the Netherlands (and throughout Europe) snow caused chaos before Christmas and temperatures plummeted for months. This year not a snowflake till February then a winter blast taking temperatures down to an unprecedented -15*. Walking round Paris on 3 February watching Parisians shiver in their lowest temperatures ever was a unique experience! Have missed the snow – usually it’s accompanied by blue skies and sun bouncing off the snow, this year has been long months of grunge and grey!

I forgot to mention the weird European weather, but you’re right, it’s a wacky winter this year. I think Mother Nature messed up — we got your winter and you got ours. (You can keep it, if you like!)

3. Russell says:

Looks like winter to me (but I take your point). Nice pup by the way.

4. expatlogue says:

Hahaha! I love it! Maria Lucas Foley! I for one have had it with winter for this year. It’s been the most disappointing, puddle of a season you could ever hope to avoid. The grey days and rain have brought my good mood to it’s knees.
    I don’t care how long it takes to “layer-up” before going out or how stinging the windchill – a proper fall of sparkling white snow never fails to make you thankful for the natural beauty in the world. Mud just doesn’t have the same effect 😦
    Give Jeff a pat from me, he’s gorgeous! Maybe you should give him his own blogspace… he’s a natural.

Be careful what you wish for, Aisha! I’m sure next winter will be twice as cold, just to make up for this one. I’m quite happy that it’s 14 degrees out right now. (Jeff, the little devil, had a lovely frolic in the mud this morning.)