Road trip: Niagara Falls

Road trip: Niagara Falls

When Elder Daughter turned 18 last week, I wanted to do something a little offbeat to honour my quirky adult-child. So instead of getting matching mani-pedis or having a posh Afternoon Tea, we got our Thelma and Louise on and took a mother/daughter road trip to Niagara Falls.

I got addicted to seeing amazing sights when I lived overseas, and the thought of giving that up was the hardest thing about repatriating. I needed this Niagara Falls trip to remind me there are some pretty spectacular sights right in my own backyard. Even though I’ve seen them many times before, it’s impossible to be bored by the Falls. They are breathtaking. Check out my video if you don’t believe me.

Many thanks to my beautiful videographer for patiently following her mother around all day, without once rolling her eyes. And also for being utterly adorable.

This entry was posted in Canada, Repatriation and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Road trip: Niagara Falls

1. So it was your eighteenth birthday gift to yourself, really? I think that’s an adorable idea. I have a Sri Lankan friend, who always goes to see his mother on his birthday, because, he says, it’s a special day for her too. 🙂

2. I must say the Niagara falls are worth a visit, I visited them when I was a child. The Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe are very impressive too. If you ever get a chance to go there, do visit them!

3. Wow, did that take me back a few years! Thanks, I enjoyed that 🙂

I’m thinking you saw the Falls from the other side — am I right? I hear the American side is beautiful, unlike the over-commercialized Canadian side, which is kind of tacky in places.

4. Awesome and thanks for a wonderful reminder of my hometown!

5. I just watched your video, what video editing software do you use? Im so happy you went on the Maid of the Mist!

Thanks Jennifer. I use iMovie (for the mac). It’s a good, basic programme but I haven’t quite mastered it yet. And I’m happy about the Maid of the Mist, too! I’d never done it before, but since there were rumblings about their contract being cancelled this year, I figured I’d better go while the going was good.

6. Expat Alien says:

Wow! I want to go on that boat!! 🙂

Excellent video! You have a budding new career 🙂

I can picture it now: “This is Maria Foley, reporting from Niagara Falls.” Hmmm, I don’t think I’ll be quitting my day job just yet!

8. expatlogue says:

Thanks for that! Brought back some happy memories. I’m sitting here with a HUGE smile on my face 🙂

9. Loved loved loved this from ‘got our Thelma and Louise on’ to stopping for road supplies to Maid of the Mist merriment. Great memories in the making, thanks for bringing us along. I’ve been a couple times, including taking my 14 year old brother and his friend the summer I graduated from university. Have to admit I was always jealous that Canada had the uniquely shaped Horseshoe Falls and the US just had the plain old straight falls, lol! And Drie Culturen, I would LOVE to see Victoria Falls.