Help me write my book!

Help me write my book

This is not me. But I feel her pain.

I’m not much of a multitasker. When I decided to write a book on overcoming the challenges of repatriation, I told myself I’d continue to post regular updates on my blog. Ha! Who am I kidding? I can’t even walk and chew gum at the same time.

So apologies for not being very present lately. I’ve been hard at work reading what feels like every single word ever published on the subject of repatriation. Now I’d like to pick the brains of the accompanying spouses who have gone through re-entry and lived to tell the tale.

So please, if you’re a repat, won’t you take my survey? I designed it myself, and it’s really quite lovely. You can access it at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/IWasAnExpatWife or, if you don’t like the idea of doing an online survey, you can download a Word version and email your responses to me.

Feel free to pass the URL along to any repatriate spouses you know — the more, the merrier. I’ll share the survey results on the blog and in the book. Stay tuned.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Help me write my book!

1. Naomi Hattaway says:

I’ve updated my Triangle piece to include your survey link at the end … hope that helps with some interview material.

2. Bugger, I was about to complete it for you then I saw the mention of spouses. Good luck with it and I hope you get many responses, Maria. These surveys are so helpful to us when undertaking projects, changing blog direction AND writing books! Keep at it, you multi-tasker, you 🙂

3. Hi Maria, I’ve shared this with several fb groups. I hope you’ll get all the help you need! Unfortunately I can’t help you, as I’ve never experienced repatriation (and never lived in my passport country…). I’m writing a book about TCKs and would be very interested in reading yours first! When are you planning to publish it? Will it be an e-book? Please send me all the details (I’m also trying to set up a bibliography for TCKs, expats etc. on my blog (http://expatsincebirth.com/2013/09/08/good-reads-and-sites-about-third-culture-kids/). If you have anything to add to the list, please let me know. – xx Ute

I’m not sure when it’ll be ready. The reason I decided to release the survey now is that I needed a public push to get this thing done! I’ll keep the survey open for 6 weeks or so, and see what comes from that. As for format, I’m hoping to have a paperback and an e-book version. I need the paperbacks because my mom doesn’t have an e-reader. 🙂 I’d love to hear more about your book — you can email me at maria@iwasanexpatwife.com if you’d like to share.

4. contactvmp says:

Hello Maria,

I have shared it on the facebook page of my blog Expat Forever. I hope it will help you.

I can’t wait to read your book ! I will be a repat (again) in 2years.

Best,

V

Véronique MARTIN-PLACE

Writer and Author of Finding Your Feet In Chicago – The essential guide for expat families

Website http://www.writerforever.com/

Follow me on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.

Logo Laptop 3-1

5. Glad to see your survey is out, I know you’re take on repatriation will be insightful, personal and well-researched, Off to share

Just did it, and thanks! I really haven’t thought so much about any of these issues until your probing questions, and they helped me gain some new insights about myself and life in general! I posted the link on my FB page and will also share it on my blog.

7. I’ve experienced repatriation, but not as an adult spouse. I grew up in Japan, then repatriated at age 13 (although it took a good 5+ years to fully repatriate). I’m interested in your survey, but I assume it’s not really for TCK’s, correct? I am currently back to living abroad as an adult – the classic TCK reaction to adult life. =)

It’s true that the survey is for repatriating spouses, but there’s a question there about the effect of the children’s re-entry on the spouse. I would love to hear from a few repatriating TCKs about their experience, so please do fill out the survey. I’ll separate the TCK responses from the others so as not to skew the results. Thanks!

8. Very interesting! This left me wondering if I qualify as an expat…As a child I was an undocumented immigrant in Mexico, but it was a border town and I went to a private school on the American side (though I was still one of only a few Americans there… different…. yup!) Well, whether I technically repatriated or not, coming back was one heck of an experience. Can’t wait to read your book! Best of luck!

9. Jules says:

Just took your survey, Maria! What a great idea for a book. I’m really looking forward to reading it when it comes out.